The vie Francigene in the South represents a network concept, which is subject to different applications: as an example of a multilevel governance, which combines the local spheres with the regional and European institutions; a physical path with a high historical-cultural value.
The Vie Francigene are included in the Program of the “Cultural Routes of the Council of Europe” (1987). Each itinerary must contribute to the creation of a concrete achievement of the fundamental values: the human rights, cultural democracy, European cultural diversity and identity, dialogue, mutual exchange and enrichment.
Therefore, in this regard the main purposes are:
- promotion of awareness of a communal cultural identity and of a European citizenship, founded on a set of shared values, which become evident around itineraries that retrace the history of influences, exchanges and the evolution of cultures in Europe;
- promotion of the dialogue between cultures and religions, through a better understanding of European history;
- protection and promotion of the cultural and natural heritage, as a means of improvement of quality of life and as a social, economic and cultural development resource;
- attribution to the cultural tourism of an important position, in order to have a sustainable development.
From a territorial and geographical point of view, the cultural itinerary is:
- a network of walks, that is to say a physical path - or even better a “road area” - composed by a net of walks;
- a main path, which has some historically reliable variations to it, which combine to create a network of walks.
From an organisational point of view, the Project of the Vie Francigene in the South foresees:
- an institution network, which winds through different administrational territories;
- the Cultural Itinerary of the Council of Europe (extention of the Via Francigena), promoted by the Program of the Council of Europe with the same name;
- a transnational cooperation network;
- a European network of interregional Coordination, promoted by EAVF with the aim of maximizing the potential of the itineraries by launching some actions of lobbying towards the European Institutions and by promoting the “European destination” as a destination for worldwide tourism;
- a collection of networks for the combined promotion of the territories.
The Project intends to develop a plan of communal action between the countless participants (profit and non-profit), which are occupied in combined tourist promotion, consortiums and associations.
It is possible to request a summary document at: firstname.lastname@example.org