Monte SAnt'angelo

The town developed on the limestone spur of the Gargano starting from the year 1000, around the famous grotto of the Arcangelo, destination of pilgrimages and stopping place of the Crusades travelling to the Holy Land. Between 1086 and 1105 it was the capital of a vast Norman estate; later it was dominated by the Aragonese and in the seventeenth century fell under the rule of the Kingdom of Naples.
There are numerous testimonies of the ancient town: the Norman fortifications of the castle with the tower of the Giants, expanded later by the Swabians and by the Aragonese; instead, very few traces remain of the town walls; the baptistery called the Tomba di Rotari is very interesting, with its high square structure dominated by an octagonal tambour on which a hemispherical dome rests; the construction of the church of Saint Maria Maggiore dates back to the first half of the XI century.
Its blind arched façade conserves a remarkable portal of 1198; the medieval borgo of Rione Junno is characteristic.

 

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=/en/resource/poi/monte-santangelo/&src=sdkpreparse
loading